Conrad Heritage Hall and Museum

Conrad officially became a town in 1880.  But John W. Conrad arrived in this area in 1853 looking for land to farm.  He first went to Albion, which was then called Lafayette, and found that the good land there was already claimed.  Moving North and East, he found the grove around Wolf Creek and filed the

second land claim in Grundy County.  The area became known as Conrad Grove.

In 1855 Dr. Elijah Fisher arrived and began quarrying stone on Conrad’s land in the grove just South of Wolf Creek.  It is unclear whether this building, known as the first stone house was ever

his home, but it was used as the first school and as a church. 


"Preserving and Sharing Our Heritage"

204 East Center Street
Conrad, Iowa

Open Thursdays from 9 am to 11 am or by appointment, call 641-366-2300